Slow Cooker Quinoa, Sweet Potato & Black Bean Vegetarian Chili
There are tons of things to love about this gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan chili, even beyond the fact that it’ll satisfy the pickiest eaters. But our favorite part? The quinoa, which thickens the chili and adds an extra dose of protein. Set it in a slow cooker in the morning, and let the flavors do their magic for the next eight hours.
Slow Cooker Quinoa, Sweet Potato, & Black Bean Chili
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 8 HOURS
total time: 8 HOURS 15 MINUTES
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well in cool water
- 3 cups cooked black beans (about 2 [15-ounce] cans, drained)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced*
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Greek yogurt, sour cream, or vegan sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped green onions
Add all ingredients (except additional salt and pepper and toppings) to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. That’s it! Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve with assorted toppings. Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for about 3 days. It freezes well, too!
Add cooked diced chicken or browned ground turkey to the batch or to individual portions.
This post has been seen 5974 times.