Why is iodine important for your organism?
Your organism needs iodine to synthesize the hormones produced by the thyroid gland. These hormones perform several very important metabolic functions:
- They accelerate metabolism, the process of burning nutrients that provide energy to the organism (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins);
- They are of vital importance for the normal development of the nervous system in children. Their deficiency (due to iodine deficiency) can lead to intellectual disability (formerly known as mental retardation);
- Iodine is primarily responsible for the normal development and function of the thyroid gland. Its role is the production of hormones of the thyroid gland, while the essential role of these hormones is to provide a normal development of the central nervous system (the brain and the spinal cord), and therefore, every future mother should have a sufficient amount of thyroxine (T4) and provide her organism with sufficient amount of iodine. These hormones have a great effect on one’s cognitive abilities and the digestive system.In addition, iodine functions as a chelating agent, a powerful antioxidant, and as a player in the metabolism of many other hormones, including adrenal and sex hormones.
- When an adult person has an iodine deficiency, their thyroid gland starts growing in order to replenish this deficiency and produce sufficient amount of thyroid hormones. This growth is called “goiter” (struma).
On the other hand, modern civilization begins to tolerate an iodine excess because iodine seems to be everywhere. It is contained in many additives that are used in the food industry as well as in many mineral waters. Even numerous medicines contain large quantities of iodine in them.
The daily need of iodine varies from 150 to 300 micrograms and it can be supplied with proper diet.
Test: Do you have iodine deficiency?
This test is useful for everyone, especially for those who have problems with their thyroid gland.
- Buy iodine from the nearest drugstore.
- Before you go to sleep at night, dip a cotton bud in the iodine and paint 3 lines on the muscle on your left upper arm: 1 thin, 1 medium, and 1 thick line.
- Wait until the lines are completely dry and then go to sleep.
- Take a look at your arm the next morning:
- If only the thin line has disappeared, this means that your organism has a sufficient amount of iodine. The organism absorbed just the amount of iodine that it needed through your skin.
- If besides the thin, the medium line has also disappeared, it means that you don’t have a sufficient amount of iodine and that you need to pay attention to your health.
- If all three lines have disappeared, this means that you have a huge deficit of this mineral and that your thyroid gland is in danger. Consult a doctor and make additional tests to get a precise diagnosis of your health condition.This method is entirely harmless because the organism absorbs through the skin only the amount of iodine that it needs. It has been recommended by Gennady PetrovichMalakhov, a Russian writer of books on folk-traditional medicine.
This post has been seen 8327 times.