As much as you want to keep your house clean and tidy, using the right cleaning products is just as important. The truth is most of us are unaware that some household cleaning items can actually be really harmful and trigger a number of health-related issues.
Recently, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) has compiled a list of common household cleaning items that pose a potential health threat to people who are unaware of their effects or children who accidentally ingest them or spill them over themselves.
According to EWG, “Already, our research has turned up products loaded with extremely toxic compounds banned in some countries. Some of their ingredients are known to cause cancer, blindness, asthma and other serious conditions. Others are green washed, meaning that they are not, as their ad hype claims, environmentally benign. Still more hide the facts about their formulations behind vague terms like ‘fragrance.’”
After performing air pollution tests, EWG found that Comet Disinfectant Cleanser Powder released 146 different chemicals, some of which have been related to cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. The sad truth is that the most dangerous chemicals in this product – formaldehyde, benzene, chloroform and toluene – are not listed on the product’s label.
EWG tested a number of other cleaning products, and the results revealed that they contain twelve of the most dangerous chemicals, also known as Proposition 65 chemicals:
- Benzene, a solvent and contaminant linked to cancer and male reproductive system toxicity (Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser)
- Chloroform, a gas that causes cancer and developmental toxicity (Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser)
- Dibutyl phthalate, an emulsifier known to damage male and female reproductive systems in development (Shineline Seal Floor Sealer/Finish).
- Formaldehyde, a cancer-causing gas also emitted by some building materials and furniture (Simple Green Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser/Deodorizer, Pine-Sol Original Cleaner, Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser, Super Cleaner Concentrate)
Only Comet Disinfectant Powder Cleanser alone released seven Proposition 65 chemicals.
Keep reading to discover what you can do instead:
The first thing to consider is opt for certified green cleaning products for your home.
An even better, all-natural solution to a clean home is baking soda, vinegar, and pure orange oil concentrate.
Petition that your government demands stricter labeling laws of toxic ingredients.
Also, ask that the toxic ingredients listed above be banned for use in cleaning products.
Share the news with your friends and family so as to inform them of the dangers of these chemicals. Last, but not least, make your own chemical-free cleaning product which is completely safe and efficient:
DIY: Chemical-Free Cleanser
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup salt
- 20 drops anti-bacterial essential oil – tea tree oil
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well-blended. If the essential oil clumps in the soda and salt, use a fork to break the clumps.
This post has been seen 4622 times.