Italian Lentil and Broccoli Stew
1 cup of dried green or brown lentils
2 cups of reduced-sodium vegetable broth or water
2 cloves of garlic
1 finely chopped carrot (small)
1 finely chopped onion (small)
6 broccoli florets
2 teaspoons of olive oil
¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
16 large green olives, pitted and slivered
4 teaspoons of shredded Parmesan
- Get onions, garlic, and carrot. Combine them with oil in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat. Keep it covered until the vegetables start to soften. It will take at least 5 minutes.
- With the broth, add the pepper flakes, lentils, and oregano. Keep it covered until it almost boils. After this, simmer until the lentils become soft and tender. This will take at least 20 minutes.
- Get the broccoli florets and simmer until it is tender and crisp. This will take at least five minutes. If you think it is necessary, add more water. Keep adding water until you reach the desired consistency of the stew.
- When ready, serve with cheese sprinkled on it.
Penne with Walnuts and Peppers
1/4 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of snipped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons of snipped fresh rosemary
or 1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
2 medium green, red, or yellow sweet seeded peppers, bite-sized strips cut lengthwise
4 cloves of thinly sliced garlic
6 ounces of dried whole wheat or multigrain penne or rotelle pasta
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan Cheese
- Read the pasta’s package direction and cook according to it. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Heat oil in medium heat in a large skillet. After this, add the walnuts and garlic.
- After 2 minutes, check if the walnuts and garlic turns light brown. Stir frequently.
- Add the sweet peppers and the red onion.
- Cook for five to seven minutes, until the vegetables are crisp and tender. Stir frequently.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir and cook until heated through.
- Add rosemary, parsley, and black pepper.
- Put the pasta in a large bowl. Top the pasta with the walnut-pepper mixture.
- If desired, get some parmesan cheese and sprinkle it on the pasta.
This post has been seen 9333 times.