There is nothing worse than lying awake at night and all you want is to turn off your brain, but you are not able to do it. You know that tomorrow you have to go to work and you will feel tired from the poor night sleep, but you can’t fall asleep.
All of us at least once in life have tried drinking warm milk, counting sheep or lavender aroma, but these techniques are simply unsuccessful.
There is a breathing technique that will surely help this evening to fall asleep easier.
How does it work?
4-7-8 technique is created by Dr. Andrew Weil from Arizona who was inspired by the well-known yoga breathing techniques and can help you to fall asleep in just a minute, because acts as a natural remedy for the nervous system and relieves stress and tension.
How should you do it?
Follow the several steps:
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Inhaling oxygen relaxes the parasympathetic nervous system and calms you.
It rebalances the nervous system which may be over stimulated during stress conditions.
It directs your attention to breathing, unlike the everyday thoughts which trigger frustration and stress.
This post has been seen 8065 times.