However, the new generation of energy efficient light bulbs are so toxic,due to the poison gas that is released,that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created an emergency protocol you need to follow in the event of a bulb breakage.
These light bulbs release 20 times the maximum acceptable mercury concentration into the air,if broken indoors, according to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency.
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Cause:
- Cluster headaches
- Inability to concentrate
Energy Efficient Bulbs Cause Anxiety, Migraines, and Even Cancer. Reasons to Go Back To Incandescent Bulbs
1. Energy saving bulbs contain mercury. Murcury ia a potent neurotoxin that is especially dangerous to pregnant women and children. It is especially toxic to the liver,the brain, the nervous system and the kidneys. It can also damage the reproductive,cardiovascular and immune systems. It can lead lead to insomnia,tremors, anxiety, headaches,memory loss, Alzheimer’s and cancer.2. Energy saving bulbs can cause cancer.
A new study performed by by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory found these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could cause cancer:
Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene).
Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol).
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene).
3. Energy saving light bulbs emit a lot of UV rays.
Energy saving lamps emit traces of UV-C and UV-B radiation. It is widely known that UV-radiation is harmful for the eyes and the skin (can lead to skin cancer). The radiation from these bulbs directly attacks the immune system, and furthermore damages the skin tissues enough to prevent the proper formation of vitamin D-3.
To conclude, the level of toxicity of these bulbs is so high that we are not supposed to put them in the regular garbage. They are household hazardous waste. You are supposed to open all of your windows and doors, if you break one in a house, and to minimize your exposure to the poisonous gas you need to evacuate the house for at least 15 minutes. Unfortunately, soon consumers won’t have the option to buy incandescent lights because they won’t be available. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) mandates the phase-out of incandescent light bulbs, and favors energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.
This post has been seen 9250 times.