Celery contains high amounts of nutritious fibers, which allow the food to move through our digestive tract easier and faster, which significantly reduces the risk of colon cancer. It is interesting that this vegetable contains many different vitamins and minerals in proper proportion. It contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, and especially high levels of vitamin K. A single celery portion provides you with 37% of the recommended daily dose of vitamin K.
The celery is very low in calories – only 16 per portion. This is one of the reasons why it is so popular among the people who care about their weight. It has a reputation of “negative calories” food, which is absolutely true.
Celery is rich in flavonoids which are known for their powerful antioxidant properties. It also contains zeaxanthin, lutein and beta-carotene which diminish the inflammatory processes, reduce the risk of heart disease, improve the immune system and prevent the development of abnormal cancer cells.
Here are some health benefits that set apart the celery from the other vegetables:
- It reduces the inflammation in our body. Consume celery regularly if you suffer from joint pain, throat infections, asthma or any other type of inflammation.
- It creates alkaline environment in our body. Alkaline environment will keep you safe from diseases and cancer.
- It aids in the digestion process. Celery tastes like “crunchy water” due to the high concentration of water and fibers in its structure. Still, you should avoid it if you have diarrhea.
- Contains beneficial salts. The salt included in celery is organic, natural and necessary for our health.
- It reduces the “bad” cholesterol (LDL). Only 2 celery sticks will help you to reduce the LDL levels in your body.
- It lowers the high blood pressure. Celery contains active ingredients known as phthalides which improve blood circulation and normalize our blood pressure.
ADVICES FOR BUYING AND COOKING CELERY:
You should look for celery sticks that break when twisting. Its leaves must be fresh. Remember, the darker the color is, the stronger the taste.
By eating the celery fresh in your favorite salad you will gain every single benefit it has to offer. Also, you can steam it and in this way your celery will keep its taste and vitamins.
This post has been seen 6543 times.