Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients that our body needs to function properly. Eating a healthy diet is the best way to get sufficient amounts of these nutrients.
Here are some symptoms which indicate specific vitamin deficiency:
- Cracked lips- this indicates lack of iron, zinc and vitamin B (B3, B2, and B12). This condition commonly occurs in vegetarians since they do not consume the sufficient amounts of these nutrients.
Solution: You should consume more Swiss chard, peanuts, lentils, poultry meat, tuna, eggs, salmon and shellfish. Vitamin C can improve the absorption of iron and it can be found in red peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and kale. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system.
- Red rash on the face (sometimes elsewhere) and hair loss- This may be a symptom of vitamin B7 deficiency.
Solution: Eat more cooked eggs, avocado, bananas, raspberries, walnuts, soybeans, cauliflower, mushrooms and salmon.
- Red or white skin changes that are similar to acne (usually on face, arms, thighs, and back)- This indicates lack of fatty acids, vitamin A and vitamin E.
Solution: Avoid saturated foods and trans-fats (margarine), and consume more healthy fats. Vitamin A is found in green vegetables, carrots, sweet potatoes, and red peppers. For vitamin D, expose to sun for 10 minutes a day.
- Numbness and tingling in the hands, feet, or elsewhere on the body- This is a sign of vitamin B deficiency (vitamin B9, B6, and B 12) which is related to peripheral nerves. Other symptoms include anemia, depression, hormone imbalance and fatigue.
Solution: It is recommended that you eat more chicken, shellfish, eggs, beans, beets, asparagus, and spinach.
- Muscle cramps, severe pain in fingers, legs, back and wrists- This indicates lack of magnesium, potassium and calcium. People who rarely exercise are more prone to this condition due to excessive sweating.
Solution: Eat more bananas, apples, cherries, grapefruit, almonds, hazelnuts, zucchini, broccoli, and dark leafy greens such as kale, spinach and dandelion.
This post has been seen 5461 times.