A leaky gut weakens your immune system and exposes you to different diseases. So it is vital to keep your gut healthy. But you can’t do that if you’re still consuming the 7 additives below.
Avoiding these additives will heal your gut and strengthen the immune system. Here are the food additives you should avoid.
1. Sugars: Sugars have been proven to cause leaky gut. Unfortunately most people consume sugar unknowingly since it’s hidden in all sorts of foods. According to this study, sugar worsens inflammation and leaky gut. Note that manufacturers use different names to hide sugar.
2. Microbial transglutaminase: Also known as meat glue, is commonly used to improve meat texture. Evidence shows that this additive can cause leaky gut. Check food labels for microbial transglutaminase or TG enzyme.
3. Organic acids: According to research, acetaldehyde, a by-product released when alcohol is processed in the liver causes leaky gut. Using organic acids in food and drinks may prevent healing of leaky gut.
4. Nanoparticles: More and more companies are using nanoparticles in their foods. Research has linked nanoparticles to oxidative stress and DNA damage. Researchers also speculate that the long term effects of nanoparticles could be worse.
5. Gluten: Gluten doesn’t do your gut any good. In fact, it’s one of the worst additives for your gut. Note that gluten can also be found in non-wheat foods. Avoid foods which use wheat as a thickening agent.
6. Emulsifiers: Studies have linked cellulose gum and other emulsifiers to colon cancer, inflammation, and obesity. Manufacturers use this additive to improve food texture. Research also shows it can damage the healthy gut bacteria, cause leaky gut and increase risk of colorectal cancer.
7. Sodium: You probably know that high sodium intake increases risk of hypertension. Well, it turns out that sodium isn’t good for your gut either. High salt intake will ruin your gut health and weaken immune system. Realize that most of the salt we consume comes from processed foods.
Best foods to heal leaky gut
- Bone broth
- Turmeric/ curcumin
This post has been seen 1223 times.