Most of the adults suffer from the hair fall issue due to dandruff. Actually, dandruff is a chronic skin condition which affects the scalp. The suffering person often gets dry, flaky and itchy scalp. This condition may affect the scalp throughout the year but it worsens during fall and winter.
There are many OTC drugs available in the market that promise to cure this scalp condition but these drugs contain chemicals, which may damage the scalp if we use it for a longer period of time. On the other hand, there are also many home remedies that are prepared with natural ingredients for the treatment of dandruff. These home remedies for dandruff are not only free from chemicals but also safe to be used on the scalp.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help to Treat Dandruff
Out of all those available natural ingredients to get rid of dandruff issue, apple cider vinegar works best. But, here, one question comes to our mind and that is – what makes apple cider vinegar so useful to treat dandruff? Let’s find out!
Antibacterial: Apple cider vinegar is loaded with natural probiotics, which makes it antibacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature. So its use kills the bacteria and fungus that cause dandruff. It also prevents the reoccurrence of dandruff issues.
Anti-inflammatory: The anti-inflammatory properties of apple cider vinegar soothe the irritated scalp that is caused due to dandruff. It also reduces the inflammation of the scalp.
Restores the Moisture Level: The acidic content of the apple cider vinegar restores the moisture content of the scalp, which in turn controls the growth of fungus on the scalp. Its acidic content also maintains the pH balance of the skin, thus its use removes the build up from the scalp without removing the natural oil.
No Chemicals: Apple cider vinegar is free of chemicals. So, its regular use will not cause any damage to the scalp and at the same time will cure the dandruff issue effectively.
Opens Clogged Hair Follicles: Apart from all these above mentioned dandruff-fighting properties, apple cider vinegar also contains various enzymes that open the clogged hair follicles. This process, in turn, makes the scalp healthy and keeps dandruff at the bay.
What are the Best Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
There are many home remedies that are prepared by using this super effective ACV to treat the dandruff issue. Let’s explore them!
1. ACV Application on the Scalp
This is one of the easiest ways to use apple cider vinegar to treat dandruff.
- ACV – as per the requirement
- Cotton Ball – 1
- A Warm Towel
- Take apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. The quantity depends upon the thickness of your hair.
- Soak the cotton ball in the ACV.
- Now make small partitions of your hair and apply the ACV covering the entire scalp.
- Gently massage your scalp for few minutes.
- Wrap your hair and head with a warm towel to open up the pores on the scalp.
- Leave it for 1 hour and then rinse your hair with warm water.
- Follow this method, at least two times a week for 1 month to get rid of dandruff.
Note: Do not use shampoo after applying apple cider vinegar to your scalp.
2. ACV and Water for Dandruff
This is another useful remedy to get rid of dandruff easily and without any side effects.
- Warm Water- ½ cup
- ACV – ½ cup
- A Spray Bottle
- A Shower Cap
- In a medium sized bowl take the warm water.
- Now add the ACV to the water and stir it.
- Pour the ACV mix to the spray bottle.
- Make small partitions of your hair and spray the ACV mix on the entire scalp and hair.
- Wrap a shower cap on your head and leave for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water.
- Use this remedy once in a week till your dandruff vanishes completely.
Note: Do not shampoo your hair after using ACV. Also, if your skin is sensitive, then first apply it on a small area of the skin. If it does not irritate your scalp, you can go ahead with the remedy.
3. ACV and Peppermint Leaves
This remedy is more effective to treat dandruff as it also contains the dandruff curing properties of peppermint. The antiseptic and the anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint leaf reduce the itchiness of the scalp that is caused due to dandruff. Its use keeps dandruff at bay.
- ACV – 1 cup
- Peppermint Leaves – 5 to 7
- Water – 1 cup
- Take 1 cup of water in a saucepan and boil it for few minutes in low flame.
- Off the flame and add the peppermint leaves and the ACV to it.
- Leave it for at least two hours to steep properly.
- Strain it and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray this mix on your hair and gently massage for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water.
- Use this remedy every day to get rid of dandruff completely.
4. ACV and Essential Oil Mix
This remedy has the goodness of lemon grass, rosemary and lavender. Rich in anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, lemon grass oil helps to treat dandruff effectively. It also kills the fungus that causes dandruff on the scalp. Rosemary which belongs to the mint family also helps to treat dandruff because it loaded with anti-fungal properties. Like lemon grass and rosemary, lavender is also a rich source of antifungal and antibacterial properties that help to treat the dandruff issue properly.
- ACV – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Rosemary Essential Oil – a few drops
- Lavender Essential Oil – a few drops
- Lemon Grass Essential Oil – a few drops
- In a medium-sized bowl take the water and mix ACV in it.
- Add all the essential oils to it and stir thoroughly.
- Shampoo your hair and then with the help of a cotton ball apply the mixture to your scalp by making small partitions of your hair.
- Massage your scalp for few minutes and then leave until the mixture dries completely.
- Rinse your hair with water.
- Repeat this process once in a week to treat the dandruff issue successfully.
5. ACV and Yogurt
Yogurt contains a good amount of proteins and vitamin B5, which is very beneficial for the scalp and hair health. Also, its antibacterial agents treat the dandruff issue and at the same time reduce the irritation of the dandruff-affected scalp.
- ACV – 1 tsp
- Plain Yogurt – ½ cup
- Take the yogurt in a small bowl and add the ACV to it and mix properly.
- Shampoo your hair and apply the yogurt and ACV mix to your scalp.
- Massage your scalp thoroughly.
- Leave for 15 minutes and rinse your scalp and hair with cool water.
- Repeat this process once in a week to get effective results against dandruff.
Note: Always use plain yogurt to prepare this remedy as sweetened or flavored yogurt may irritate the skin and worsen the condition.
6. ACV and Tea Tree Oil Scalp Mask
The anti-fungal properties of tea tree oil kill the fungus called Malassezia, which is the main cause of dandruff . So the combination of ACV along with tea tree oil will work wonders to cure dandruff.
- Raw, Unfiltered ACV – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Tea Tree Oil – 5 drops
- Cotton ball – 1 to 2
- Take all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix together.
- Soak a cotton ball in this ACV mix and apply it on the scalp.
- Cover all the portion of the scalp and massage it for few minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse with warm water and then shampoo your hair.
- If your dandruff is severe then use this remedy in every alternate day and once your dandruff disappears, use this remedy once in a week to prevent its reoccurrence.
7. ACV with Lemon Juice, Tea Tree and Olive Oil
Earlier, we came to know about the good effects of tea tree oil to treat dandruff. In this remedy, we have added olive oil to make it more effective. Olive will offer a moisturizing effect to the scalp and the hair. Since ages olive oil has been used as a folk remedy for dandruff. It treats the dandruff issue by properly moisturizing the dry areas that flake off. Apart from that, it also hydrates the scalp properly to fight the dandruff issue.
- ACV – ¼ cup
- Distilled Water – 1 cup
- Olive Oil – ½ tsp
- Tea Tree Oil – 5 drops
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- A Spray Bottle
- Shower Cap
- Take 1 cup of distilled water in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the ACV and the tea tree oil to it. Also, add the lemon juice to it.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly, and then pour it into the spray bottle.
- Part your hair and spray the mixture on your scalp and hair.
- Wear a shower cap and leave for 30 minutes.
- Cleanse your hair using a mild shampoo.
- After using this home remedy twice every week for one month, you will be able to have a control on your dandruff issue.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar and Fenugreek
Since ages, fenugreek, which is a very common spice in the Indian kitchen, has been used to treat various hair care problems, such as dandruff, hair fall, dry and lifeless hair etc. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which fight to treat the dandruff problem . It contains protein and nicotinic acid, which promote hair growth. It also contains lecithin, which adds a lustrous touch to the hair. Fenugreek works as a natural conditioner for the hair.
- Fenugreek Seeds – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight so that you can easily make a paste of it.
- Next day morning grind the soaked fenugreek seeds to make a fine paste.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the paste and mix thoroughly.
- Make partitions of your hair and apply this paste on your hair and scalp with the help of a hair brush.
- Leave it on your hair for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- If you are facing severe dandruff issues you can use this paste in every alternate day or else you can use it 1 to 2 times a week.
Note: You can store this mixture to use in future.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar Herbal Combination
This ACV herbal combination works well to get rid of dandruff issue easily as it contains calendula flowers, sage, thyme and chamomile leaves.
With abundant antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, calendula flowers helps to maintain the scalp health, thus treats dandruff effectively. It also cleanses the scalp and hair of grease residue, which in turn keeps the dandruff issue at the bay. And at the same time, it hydrates the scalp.
Sage with its antibacterial, antifungal and astringent properties help to combat the dandruff issue properly .
Popularly known as brahmi in ancient ayurvedic medicines, sage is used to cure dandruff issues. Its astringent and healing properties makes it an effective ingredient to cure dandruff .
The use of chamomile treats dandruff and soothes the irritated scalp that is caused due to dandruff. Apart from that its use also strengthens the hair and adds a natural shine to it.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 cups
- Calendula Flowers – 1 tsp
- Dried Sage Leaves – 1 tsp
- Dried Thyme Leaves – 1 tsp
- Dried Chamomile Leaves – 1 tsp
- Water – as per the requirement
- An Empty Bottle
- Cotton Balls – 1 to 2
- Take 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and bring it to a boil and then off the flame.
- Add all the herbs to it and leave it overnight to steep properly.
- Strain the mixture to the empty bottle.
- Now add 1/8 cup of vinegar to 1 cup of water and dilute it.
- Apply the ACV mix to your hair before shampooing.
- Again apply it after conditioning your hair and do not rinse it off.
- Use this ACV remedy for dandruff at least once in a week and you will see noticeable changes within 2 weeks period of time.
- In the place of adding all the herbs to the ACV, you can also use any herb of your choice to prepare this home remedy for dandruff.
Note: Make sure to have enough ventilation in the bathroom as the strong fumes of ACV may sting your eyes.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Like ACV, honey provides an effective cure for dandruff and when you combine it with ACV, it works even better. Including minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, prosperous, manganese and Vitamins like A, C, D, E, honey treats the dandruff issue properly. Apart from that, its use helps the hair to retain its moisture.
- Warm Water – ½ cup
- ACV – 1/3 cup
- Raw Honey – 3 tbsp
- A Plastic Spray Bottle
- A Shower Cap
- Mix together all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- Make four partitions of your hair and spray the solution on your scalp as well as on your hair.
- Cover the head and the hair with a shower cap
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- Use this home remedy once in a week to get rid of dandruff fast.
- For all the above mentioned ACV home remedies for dandruff, use organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar. Make sure that it has the mother in it.
- Make a patch test on a small portion of your scalp before trying these home remedies for the entire scalp. You can go ahead with the home remedy if there is some mild irritation but need not go for the home remedy if there is a strong irritation.
- Keep your hair brush clean to keep dandruff at the bay. Use vinegar to clean your comb.
- Do not scratch your scalp as it may increase the dandruff issue.
- Use a small-toothed comb to remove the flakes from the scalp. This will help lessen the dandruff.
- Do not shampoo your hair frequently as the harsh chemicals in it cause more dandruff.
- Avoid stressful situations as stress can cause dandruff.
- Eat food rich in zinc and Vitamin B6 for healthy scalp and hair.
If after using all these home remedies, the dandruff issue does not subside, then it is time to consult a dermatologist to know the underlying causes of it and going for the right treatment.
If your dandruff is mild and is not accompanied by any bleeding or severe irritation, then you can very well use these apple cider vinegar home remedies that are mentioned above to get rid of dandruff forever.
This post has been seen 15339 times.