Facts About Kiwi
Kiwifruits are harvested during the months of August to November. Kiwi is not a big fruit. It weighs around 4 ounces. Its fleshy part is creamy and has an invigorating flavor.
When you are buying kiwifruits check whether they are ripe enough. The outer part should be rough but it should yield to some gentle pressure. Avoid the fruits that have stains or cuts on them.
If you are purchasing raw kiwi fruits, you can store them along with bananas in order to ripen them quickly. Kiwifruits would remain fresh in room temperature for around 4 to 5 days. However, if they are fully ripe then they won’t last so long. Ripe fruits should be kept in the refrigerator. If you want the fruits to last for 5 to 6 months then wrap them in plastic bags that are perforated for ventilation. You can also get frozen kiwi, if you store it using ascorbic acid and sugar syrup. For making frozen kiwi, you should peel off its skin and store them in freezer. Frozen kiwi would remain fresh for 7 to 8 months.
You should eat the kiwifruit after washing and peeling it nicely. However, the skin is considered to be an edible part that contains lots of fiber and nutrients. The inner fleshy part is quite smooth and it can be scooped out with a spoon. Alternatively, you can slice the fruit into pieces before serving. Once you peel the fruit, it should be taken without much delay. If you leave the fruit for too long it would become quite soft and watery. For this reason, if you are adding kiwi to salads, then add it just before serving.
Are you concerned about your dry and saggy skin? Are you looking for a permanent remedy for your hair fall? If you are here to find a healthy solution for all your health and cosmetic problems, start with a fresh serving of kiwifruit. Kiwi is a rich source vitamin C and a wide range of rare nutrients that can make your skin healthy and bright. Kiwifruit also has countless health benefits including its role in strengthening hair and preventing hair fall.
Benefits Of Kiwi For Skin
- Kiwi is a delicious fruit that contains several rare nutrients. It is a rich source of antioxidants, Vitamin C, and E. These nutrients are essential for a healthy and glowing skin.
- Kiwi contains antioxidants and dietary fibers. The fruit act as a natural laxative that helps the body in removing all the wastes and toxins. This in turn makes the skin clearer and more beautiful.
- Kiwifruit contains lots of Vitamin E which helps in keeping the skin soft and moist. Vitamin also aids in regeneration of cells which in turn makes the skin youthful and flexible.
- The fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C which helps in the formation of collagen. Collagen repairs the skin and helps it to recover from cuts and wounds. It also makes the skin soft, supple and moist.
- Kiwi contains omega-3 fatty acids which protect the skin from a wide range of disorders. It also protects the cell membranes of the skin.
- A mixture of kiwi pulp and lemon juice can act as a nutritious face pack. Apply this mixture and let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes. This treatment is excellent for reducing sebum production.
- For a glowing skin prepare a blend of avocado (1/2), kiwi and honey (1 teaspoon). Mix these ingredients and apply the mixture on your skin. After 10 to 15 minutes rinse off with cool water.
- The antioxidants in kiwi kill the free radicals and reduce the intensity of aging signs like dark spots, wrinkles and fine lines.
- Kiwi is a rich source of anti-inflammatory agents and AHAs. This prevents the skin from acne, boils, pimples, zits and abscess.
- Kiwifruit contains amino acids that protect the skin from sun damage.
- The vitamins and nutrients in kiwi help the skin in renewing its cells. Hence, eating kiwi can make your skin moist and youthful.
- Make a pulp of a ripe kiwi fruit and add some yoghurt to it. Mix it well and gently rub it on your face. Wash your face after 15 minutes. This will allow the nutrients to penetrate into your skin and nourish it from within.
- Kiwi fruit contains Vitamin C that helps in lightening your skin tone. You can make a natural scrub by mixing kiwifruit pulp, lemon juice, oatmeal and kiwi seed oil. This scrub can help your skin in getting an even tone.
- Kiwifruit peels can be used as a natural exfoliating agent. You can scrub your face with kiwi peels to get a flawless skin.
Benefits Of Kiwi For Hair:
- Kiwifruit is rich in minerals like zinc, magnesium and phosphorus that improves hair growth and enhances blood circulation. It also contains Vitamin C and E which helps in reducing hair fall.
- The vitamin C in the fruit helps in the formation of collagen. This enables the scalp to absorb more nutrients.
- Kiwi seed oil contains omega-3fatty acids that prevent the hair from losing its moisture.
- Kiwifruit is rich in copper. This helps the hair in preserving its natural color. It also protects the hair from premature greying.
- Kiwifruit is rich in iron which helps in nourishing the hair. It promotes proper blood circulation in the scalp and thus it strengthens the hair from their roots.
- Eating kiwi can help you in strengthening the hair and also the skin on your scalp. This in turn prevents the occurrence of dandruff and eczema. It also protects the scalp from inflammation.
Health Benefits Of Kiwi:
- Fights Against Free Radicals: Kiwi contains Vitamin C which fights the free radicals and protects our body and skin from various diseases. Free radicals increase the risk of cancer and it also causes aging signs. Vitamin C neutralizes these free radicals and renders them useless.
- Collagen Production: Vitamin C results in more collage formation. This makes the skin more elastic. Elasticity keeps the skin tight and intact. Thus kiwifruit prevents sagging of the skin.
- Pre-Biotic Properties: Kiwi acts as a pre-biotic agent that nourishes the body and promotes easy digestion.
- Weight Management: Kiwi contains lots of dietary fiber that promotes fullness. Kiwi is also a low-calorie fruit and hence it is best for people who are on a weight-loss regiment.
- Prevents Asthma: Kiwi fruit can reduce the chances of getting asthma.
- Pre-Natal Nutrition: Kiwifruit is good for pregnant women. The fruit contains certain ingredients that help in transferring the nutrients and vitamins from the mother to the child. This makes the baby healthy and well-nourished.
- Regulates Diabetes: Kiwifruit has a low glycemic index. Hence, it is beneficial for diabetic people. Kiwi supplements are also recommended in this case.
- Reduces Eye Disorders: Kiwifruit is helpful in reducing the instances of eye disorders caused due to muscular degeneration.
- Anti-Oxidants: Kiwifruit contains lots of anti-oxidants that help our body in cell re-building.
- Fiber Boost: Kiwifruit contains lots of dietary fiber. This helps in cleansing our system by promoting digestion.
Uses of Kiwi:
Kiwi fruit doesn’t look attractive and it has a rough and hairy exterior. However, inside the fruit lies its emerald green pulp that tastes somewhat like pineapples or strawberries. The fruit is quite delicious. Listed below are few ideas on different ways to serve this amazing fruit.
- Kiwi fruit looks quite appealing with its emerald green flesh and small black seeds. Hence, it would look quite decorative when used alongside salads.
- You can add kiwi fruit while preparing cereals, oatmeal, couscous and brown rice.
- To add a bit of sweetness you can mix some pieces of kiwi to special cuisines of chicken or turkey. Kiwi can also be used as an additive for savory dishes.
- Kiwi is often used in preparations like cheesecake, cake, jam, muffins, juice, jellies and syrup.
- You can add well-cut pieces of kiwi to items like yoghurt, ice cream and custard.
- Kiwi can be used with cantaloupe in order to prepare chilled soup.
- Acitinidin is a compound found in kiwi which has the ability to tenderize certain meat products. For instance, you can marinate chicken pieces in kiwifruit juice for around 20 minutes in order to soften them.
- Kiwifruit is used in New Zealand for making a delicious dessert known as Pavloa.
- You can use kiwi fruit for making smoothie along with strawberries and yoghurt.
- Add some sliced kiwifruit alongside grilled chicken, mixed greens, vinegar, olive oil and fat free feta to prepare a delicious salad.
- Kiwifruit can be used as an additive to salsa sauce and chutneys that are often used as side-dishes to fried fish.
This post has been seen 11216 times.